Sunday, October 24, 2010

prisoner in my own home

I absolutely loathe spiders. I can honestly use that word without any second thought as to whether or not it is too strong. This is legit. Every time I see a spider, (mostly when it's inside) every fiber of my body freezes and I try to decide if it is rational to just flee the building and leave whatever I was doing. Seeing as that is not typically the most rational response, I have someone dispose of it quickly. If nobody is around, I decide if I can truly muster up the strength to kill it or if I just wait for someone to arrive and hope that it is still there.

I recently had a very close encounter with a VERY large spider. It was about 6 inches away from Cory's face, and about a foot away from mine...TOO, TOO CLOSE! I grabbed Cory, ran downstairs, and waited two hours for Kai to get home. I just prayed that the spider would still be visible, so that I could rest assured it was dead. Unfortunately, Kai got home and we searched and searched for this big thing and it was nowhere to be found. Darn spider. Lucky day for him, but a very unlucky day for me.

Whenever there is a spider unaccounted for lurking in my home, I absolutely cannot focus on anything. I don't want to sit down because I'm afraid it will crawl on me. I'm constantly scanning the room to see if I can spot anything out of the ordinary. It absolutely takes over my life. It makes me feel like a prisoner in my own home. Now, imagine if you will, a week of this. It has been miserable looking for that spider. I knew that it was still in the house. I just knew he hadn't gone anywhere. He was just waiting to show himself again and scare me to absolute death. Well, we got home from Chicago tonight, and he made his appearance. Right in the middle of the door in the hallway. There he lie as I almost walked right past it. I was beyond grateful that Kai was home this time. I do not know what I would have done if I let this guy roam free twice. He was honestly huge. We're talking golfball size.

Now that he's dead and gone, I still can't help but think he had invited friends over with him. I still have that paranoid feeling that there are more lurking somewhere. It makes going to sleep very difficult. I have heard horror stories of spiders biting people or laying eggs in their eye while their sleeping. Seriously? That would be the worst thing ever! I'm very glad that vengeance was had on the spider, and I just hope that no more make themselves known here in this house. They'll be sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment