Thursday, October 28, 2010

my perfect birthday

Before today, if somebody would have asked me what my perfect birthday would consist of, I would probably say something like this:

Wake up in the morning to cinnamon rolls, bacon and orange juice delivered to me in bed (after sleeping in) by Kai and Cory (who has already been fed breakfast). After that, I would like to enjoy the following festivities in no particular order: make some cards, watch The Office, go to Target and maybe take a nap. I would end the day by having an indoor pizza picnic while watching a good movie.

Basically, I think birthdays are a big deal, and I believe that it should be a whole day filled with the birthday boy or girl's favorite things.

I was apprehensive about my birthday this year because Kai and I were both very busy all day with work and school, so I planned for tomorrow to be my actual birthday celebration that consisted of the events described above. However, after today, I have to say that I absolutely did not give Kai enough credit. He has told me "Happy Birthday" about 42 times today (which is enough to make me smile) and he started the day by giving me a homemade card. Yes, that's right, he MADE me a card, WITH Cory's handprint inside! (too sweet) Half-way through the day he came home from school with an Ingrid Michaelson CD, Valentine's Day on DVD and the most comfortable pajama pants. Tonight, after watching The Office, we decided to make a red velvet cake with cream cheese icing (my favorite) and while I was pouring the cake batter into the pan, Kai realized that I had accidentally bought icing that was manufactured with nuts. Don't worry, I'm just as shocked as all of you are that I could be so careless! LUCKILY, he caught it before I ate any. I could have spent my birthday in the ER (not great). After I had come to the realization that I would not be getting birthday cake, Kai informed me that he would gladly make a trip to the store to buy more icing (seriously? he's awesome!) 15 minutes later he comes home with icing....AND FLOWERS!! In addition to all the wonderful things that Kai has done for me all day, I have had ridiculous amounts of calls, texts, facebook posts and messages, texts and e-mail birthday messages. Let me just say, I love getting birthday messages and calls throughout the day, and after 5 birthdays on facebook, it does not get old to get on throughout the day and see all the numerous posts from your friends. Nothing can make a day brighter than that!

All this to say, I have had a pretty stellar birthday. I did not need to go and plan a separate day because I thought my real day wouldn't be sufficient. It's been great! I could not feel more loved and appreciated than I do right now. To all my friends and family: Thank you for making my birthday so special...I love you all!!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear that you had a wonderful birthday friend!!!

    ReplyDelete